Monday, October 7, 2013

MORE SALAD AND MORE STUFF

I HAVE BEEN KNOWN to take my dog almost everywhere and it's true that I do. The one place that I do like taking him to is our local green market. It isn't unusual for us to run into someone or some dog that Ludwig doesn't already know from our "off leash" morning romps in Riverside Park and so, we go as if on an adventure, always taking away a few gourmet treasures and always walking back home along the Drive or in the park. Anyone will tell you that dogs are very social animals and need to be in their own society as often as they can. It helps them interact with humans enormously and they definitely develop a better personality because of it. But I digress. 

I have mentioned before that I try to buy overripe tomatoes at the end of the day. I wasn't lucky enough to find them at $1.00 a pound, but I was fortunate enough to find yellow and red plum tomatoes (very, VERY ripe) which I scooped up in anticipation of something I could conjure up when I got home and conjure I did.


This salad is so simple it's almost ridiculous.

1 cucumber, sliced very thin (a mandolin works wonders for this)
4 yellow plum tomatoes
4 red plum tomatoes (all tomatoes trimmed at the base and head and sliced lengthwise)
1/2-1 fennel bulb sliced very thin (mandolin also)
2 shallots sliced thin
1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
16 leaves fresh basil (cut into chiffonade)
Olive Oil
White wine vinegar
Blue cheese (crumbled)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Pinch of sugar

Put all sliced vegetable in a large bowl. Sprinkle on a little salt and toss. Let stand for about 15 minutes.

Add the oil and vinegar and the pinch of sugar. Toss again. Add the basil leaves and gently toss. Crumble the blue cheese and sprinkle over the salad. Taste for seasoning and serve.

See what I mean about simple. And it is totally delicious!

And what do you think? Ludwig, after eating his dinner (while I ate mine, of course), is looking up at me and I offer him a morsel of blue cheese. Not only did he eat it, he wanted more.  


No comments:

Post a Comment