Tuesday, September 11, 2012



From soup to nuts, that's what I say. So, it's only fitting that we should have first embarked with Oysters (not so soupy but a start) and go directly to the nuts, in the delectable form of the pecan finger!
PECAN FINGERS
My mother used to make these at least twice a year and they are incredibly simple to make. She would always make them for Christmas, along with the thousands of other cookies she confected. Inevitably, she would have to make more by the time Christmas finally arrived because everyone, especially my father and I, would devour them before the holiday was even upon us. Why? Because they were/are incredibly delicious! Every time I make them, I smell my mother in the aromas wafting out of the oven and then in the cookies once they are dressed with - what else? - more sugar(!) and it brings back so many wonderful memories of our kitchen, our family life and the love that was ever present in our house. The cost of pecans these days makes these cookies prohibitive, but I've been known to make these throughout the year for almost any occasion - any excuse to make them is fine with me. 
2   Cups Unsalted Butter (1 pound)
1   Cup Powdered Sugar (sifted)
½  Tsp. Salt
2   Tsp. Vanilla
2   Tsp. Water
4   Cups Flour
4   Cups Pecans (finely chopped)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Chop the nuts in a food processor or use a rolling pin on a wooden board. In a large mixing bowl with a balloon whisk, cream butter, add sugar, salt, vanilla and water. Blend until creamy in texture and pale yellow in color. If you have a dough hook for your mixer, switch that with the balloon whisk. Add the flour and pecans and mix well. I prefer using my KitchenAid mixer instead of the Cuisinart because it over-processes the dough. Chill for about 15 minutes if the dough is too soft. Using a level teaspoon of cookie dough and rolling the dough between your two hands, shape the dough into finger-sized logs (they should actually look like a finger). (If you are Sicilian or Italian, don't forget to make St. Joseph's staff as the first cookie.) Place the cookies on an un-greased cookie sheet(s) and bake for 15 minutes (depending on the speed of your oven - and the heat - start checking for doneness after 8 minutes and turn the sheets around in the oven if necessary to prevent uneven baking). These cookies are very delicate and more a confection than a cookie so if you bake them too long, i.e., burn them, they will dry out and crumble. Let cool for an hour. Roll each cookie separately in plenty of powdered sugar (about 2 cups in a bowl will do).
Makes about 10 dozen cookies. 
These cookies stand up very well to refrigeration and freezing so you can store them for future use; that is, if they last that long!

Just an aside here: I received several emails about my first entry regarding the pros and cons of eating oysters raw vs. cooked/bakd/roasted, etc. I would appreciate it if you would reserve your comments for the blog instead of sending me emails. It is a public forum and I invite and welcome comments on any and/or all of the recipes you will eventually find here. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, pecan fingers. How well I remember them, melting in my mouth - so delicate and delicious. Mom was a magnificent cook and baker! She could make cardboard taste delicious if she had to. Those are certainly days worth remembering!

    ReplyDelete