Thursday, April 11, 2013

Snacks - Midnight and Other Hours

I'm sure everyone reading this can relate to late night pangs of hunger. Those churnings and yearnings for something that will sate, thrill and still let you sleep when it's time to meet the angels in your dreams.


The other night, I craved chocolate and ate some home made fudge (recipe to come soon) but while I did, I realized that I had hardly eaten anything except a 2-egg omelet with scallions and was ravenous. How do you cook for one person at 11:00 at night? When in doubt, eat rice! I say this very tongue in cheek but the other night that is exactly what I did and it was so very simple it was crazy. You can also use leftover rice (reheated) for this dish.

1/2 cup sushi rice (or 1 cup for 2 or 3 people)
1 1/4 cup water (2 cups)

I don't soak and rinse the rice as you would for sushi. Put rice in a saucepan with the water, bring to a boil and lower the heat to simmer and cover the pan. Let cook for 20 minutes or so. The rice should be creamy and sticky at the same time. Turn off the heat, let sit for about 5 minutes.

Make a sauce from:

1 tsp. soy sauce (I only use soy sauce made in
   Japan)
1 tbl. mirin
1 tsp. grated ginger
1 lime (juiced)
2 tbl. scallions (green and white parts
1/8-14 tsp Sambal* (hot red chili paste)
1 tsp. oyster sauce

Mix all ingredients and pour over the rice and eat immediately.

* Regarding the Sambal: you can use any hot chili sauce and the amount you use, of course, should be according to your palette for heat.

I've made this in larger quantities and have used more lime juice for a tarter tasting dish. It is truly delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment